Wednesday, December 5, 2012

December 5th- Away in a Manger


Away in a Manger

Away in a manger, no crib for his bed
The little Lord Jesus lay down his sweet head
The stars in the sky looked down where He lay
The little Lord Jesus .Asleep on the hay.
The cattle are lowing,
The poor baby wakes,
But little Lord Jesus
No crying He makes;
I love thee, Lord Jesus,
Look down from the sky

And stay by my cradle till morning is nigh
Be near me, Lord Jesus, I ask thee to stay
Close by me forever and love me, I pray!
Bless all the dear children in thy tender care
And take us to heaven to live with thee there.


 No palace.  No home.  No earthly fanfare and riches.  No crib for a bed….asleep on the hay.  Can you even imagine?  God Himself made flesh as a small poor little baby.  2 Corinthians 8:9 states; “For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though He was rich, yet for your sake He became poor, so that you through His poverty might become rich.”

Today take some time and read Luke 2:1-20.  Think about Jesus’ willingness to be born as a baby…small, helpless, entrusted to people…born into a harsh hateful world- away in a manger. 

Lastly, consider Philippians 2:5-11 and think of the cost…not just the cost of the Cross but the cost of being made flesh. It had to cost Jesus to leave heaven and come to earth as a babe.  He counted the cost though and came.  I marvel at how much the God of the Universe trusted Himself and His Sovereign plan to entrust a small baby to people and for people.     

Here is a link to the song today;  http://youtu.be/FnVorT14i4I

No comments: