Tuesday, December 11, 2012

December 11th- O come, O come Emmanuel (verse 1 and 2)

O come, O come Emmanuel (Verses 1 and 2)

O come, O come, Emmanuel
And ransom captive Israel
That mourns in lonely exile here
Until the Son of God appear
Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
Shall come to thee, O Israel.


O come, Thou Day-Spring, come and cheer
Our spirits by Thine advent here
Disperse the gloomy clouds of night
And death's dark shadows put to flight.


Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
Shall come to thee, O Israel
.

These first two verses are so powerful.  Read them slowly.  Emmanuel, God with us…came to ransom the captives and put death’s dark shadow to flight. The nation of Israel was not the only captives, all of mankind was held captive by sin, death and satan and Jesus came to ransom the captives.  
Ransom is defined as; a sum or money or other payment demanded or paid for the release of a prisoner. Jesus is the Servant that God the Father’s soul delighted in, He came to bring forth justice and ransom the captives by giving His Own life as a payment for the ransom of many.
Isaiah 42:1-10a;
1“Behold, My Servant, whom I uphold;
My chosen one in whom My soul delights.
I have put My Spirit upon Him;
He will bring forth justice to the nations.
2 “He will not cry out or raise His voice,
Nor make His voice heard in the street.
3 “A bruised reed He will not break
And a dimly burning wick He will not extinguish;
He will faithfully bring forth justice.
4 “He will not be disheartened or crushed
Until He has established justice in the earth;
And the coastlands will wait expectantly for His law.”


5 Thus says God the Lord,
Who created the heavens and stretched them out,
Who spread out the earth and its offspring,
Who gives breath to the people on it
And spirit to those who walk in it,
6 “I am the Lord, I have called You in righteousness,
I will also hold You by the hand and watch over You,
And I will appoint You as a covenant to the people,
As a light to the nations,


7 To open blind eyes,
To bring out prisoners from the dungeon
And those who dwell in darkness from the prison.
8 “I am the Lord, that is My name;
I will not give My glory to another,
Nor My praise to graven images.
9 “Behold, the former things have come to pass,
Now I declare new things;
Before they spring forth I proclaim them to you.”

10 Sing to the Lord a new song,
Sing His praise from the end of the earth!


Jesus came to seek and save that which was lost and be the Servant Who would lay down His life for many.  Anyone who trusts in Him is set free; free from sin and death’s dark shadow.  Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel, Shall come to thee, O Israel.” And whosoever will come.  
 Here is a link to the song;   http://youtu.be/ULfmzfo8VaU

2 comments:

franster48 said...

Such a perfect plan! Only God could have set all of this in motion. How can we not proclaim the joy of this message from the mountain tops!

Mandi Cornett said...

Amen! So very true!!