Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Hands in your mouth...

I just had two sets of hands in my mouth and numerous drilly thingy's ...yes, I was at the dentist. Sorry, but I have to say...I'd rather been cleaning toilets or a vast number of other things. Yuck and Ouch. As I picked a spot on the wall to stare at and as I bit down on my "bite block" (a very nifty gadget) I thought I should make some time to pray (I have issues and always feel the need to multitask) ...but as my mouth was stretched and pulled and as what seemed like hundreds of other "tools" were used, I just couldn't concentrate. Shocker.

Needless to say, I felt out of control... as Maggie my 6 year old sat in the corner chatting away,it only added to my lack of control...not knowing what was going to come out of her sweet mouth! "My mom yells at me when I don't brush my teeth." That was one thing...and with ALL that was going on in my mouth I couldn't defend, shrug or even smile my way into one little smig of control over the situation.

If you can't tell, I didn't like that experience very much...actually, it reminds me of how many areas of my life I tend to feel like God has "His Hands in my mouth"...working. He does know what He's doing...I just don't like how it feels so often and the lack of control it gives me. Like I have any real control anyway! Honestly sometimes I feel I'd rather do anything else but have Him get "His Hands back in my mouth".

After what seemed like hours (probably 20 minutes) the dentist gently laid her hand on my shoulder and said, "We're almost there, you're doing great." It meant a lot to me, I know I sound like a baby, but how often has the Lord gently laid His Hand on me and said in His Word or quietly in my spirit..."We're getting there Mandi...you're doing great." I need the reminder to let Him do His work...for my good and His glory. He knows what He is doing and He is in complete control!

No comments: