Monday, August 30, 2010

Issues....

I have some issues and I'm burdened. I'm tired and I'm struggling with the coming year...so many things are changing. I have some life issues, relationship issues, practical issues, ministry issues and so on. I'm "here"...and I'm not particularly looking forward to some of the "there" places I will have to go this next year. Don't get me wrong, in the big picture I KNOW things will be fine BUT the little picture can be overwhelming at times...know what I mean?!

I was really struck by these verses penned by the Prophet Isaiah, thousands of years ago...he is addressing some idolatry issues. I wonder if I have any of those?! (I say knowing the obvious answer!)

Isaiah 46:1b-2 "The things that you carry are burdensome, A load for the weary beast. They stooped over, they have bowed down together; They could not rescue the burden, But have themselves gone into captivity. "

What struck me most is how appropriate the words are to how I feel right now. I feel burdened and weary...stooped over and pulled down by the weight of these issues. The more I try to alleviate the burden, hold it OR rescue it...the more I actually am enslaved by it! The real question is; do I believe the words..."They could not rescue the burden"? As my burdens become my issues...my idols, I feel so very responsible for them. I try to rescue them-in my flesh, every time. I justify them. I modify them. I re-model them. I calculate and "work" on them.

I get weighted down by them so easliy or do I simply and repeatedly acknowledge that I can not rescue them and drop them? As Matthew 11:28-30 says;

"Come to me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble of heart, and 'you will find rest for your souls.' for My yoke is easy and My burden is light."

Jesus is our burden bearer...He already bore ALL of the burden. My issues are His issues....He knows that they will weight me down and will only enslave me, thus the reason I need to learn, by faith, to come early and often to this living breathing love and grace-based relationship with my burden-Bearer. I don't want to go into captivity, do you? Praise the Lord we have One with constantly initiates and beckons "Come".

1 comment:

Mary Woodson said...

Someone recently told me that sheep are not load-bearing animals.

I think that our wanting to carry/rescue our burdens is another angle of the myth/lie that post-salvation, our Christian walk is our responsibility. Just like we need the Holy Spirit to equip/fill us with love for others, we need the Holy Spirit to trust God with burdens. In both instances, God gets the glory.