Saturday, August 21, 2010

Fall TV (and other stuff) schedule 2010.

I love TV. There, I said it…I’m embarrassed and ashamed but I really do love wasting my time and “vegging” in front of the TV. I feel entitled about this time. Honestly, I have to put a personal boundary on myself because I do think I could become a couch potato! I told my family today, that I think a great vacation would be to just go into a room with a TV, movies, snacks and a comfy couch and veg for a couple of days. I like TV and yes, I feel the judgment of that! I can “hear” some of you….who cannot believe people can waste time like this and then there are the others who know exactly what I mean!

As we enter into this new Fall TV season I was looking over the new show listing…some “old” shows have been cancelled, others are coming back...and yet others, are brand new or a re-modeled new. Some sound interesting and others not so much…As I perused what was coming for this fall, I was struck by how much personal opinion matters. I know that I very obvious. Have you ever had someone say they just LOVE a show and then you give it a try and uggg, you hate it! You cannot understand how anyone can like it, but many do. Personal opinion. I do have a point here…really.

I wonder if we ever approach the Church and its “programs” with the same ideas of personal opinion. If we peruse the upcoming events of our Church and give a knee jerk reaction like we do with TV shows. Or maybe we are like the executives who “view the ratings” and cancel…programs or unfortunately even people. We try to re-make old ideas into new or try for brand spanking new ideas across the board- just to increase the ratings.

Hmmmm…..it makes me think and it also causes me to be aware that I need to guard my heart and my attitude about my personal opinion and preferences, making sure they don’t get in the way of what the Lord wants to accomplish the Fall.

What is your Fall lining up to look like? What do you have scheduled? Are you making sure to "slot" in time with your Church and other believers? Make time, schedule the time…don’t let your personal opinion of the options keep you from trying something new or old. Your opinion matters don’t get me wrong BUT His opinion keeps the ratings right where they need to be. Get involved in your Church this Fall…the couch will still be there when you get home!

No comments: