Monday, August 25, 2008

I think I'm spiritually ADD.

I think I might be spiritually ADD. Here's where I'm going. I have a wonderful child with ADD (Attention Deficient Disorder) ...he has trouble with concentration and focus...most of the time he struggles with completing tasks. If I send him upstairs with more than two tasks, he gets totally sidetracked. He is a wonderful boy, he has such a soft heart. But there is no way around it, his brain is wired differently and he struggles at home and at school. We're working on it (I just had to send him back to school to get a forgotten item) Now, my point is not to tell you all my issues with working with him BUT to see a spiritual parallel in me.

Sometimes, I think that totally looks like me- spiritually and even emotionally. I can be all over the board, can you relate? I can jump from thing to thing...task to task...ministry to ministry...emotion to emotion. I hardly finish a thought and I'm off to another. We're all busy doing our tasks-whether it is loving our husbands and children , working at our jobs or doing a ministry task...and then we're off to another thing. All the time dealing with the emotions of it all. Know what I mean?

In reality that is our lives...we are all so very ADD (all over the place spiritually and sometimes emotionally and we all have difficulty concentrating on the Lord) , so how does the Lord respond to us? I'm telling you right now...better than I respond to Tommy sometimes! I can get so frustrated, so overwhelmed...and just plain annoyed with how he is wired and what is required to help him.(I'm just being honest) Sometimes, I'm what I need to be which is patient, clear, scheduled and specific in my instruction and other times...AHHH.

Isn't is amazing how patient, clear, specific and yes...even scheduled (in His time) our God is ? All the time. Not just on good days. All of His days are Good Days!Psalm 103:13-14 says, " Just as a father has compassion on his children, so the LORD has compassion on those who fear Him. For He Himself knows our frame; He is mindful that we are but dust." He knows us...and He is not surprised at our state. Praise His Name! I'm the one who gets stressed out by "my frame", He on the other hand, is totally up for the task...the task of completely transforming me.


Actually, I think we need to recognize just how ADD-like we all are, how much we need His patience, His structure, His guidance...His Supply and His Wisdom to sort out all our thoughts, emotions and tasks. No wonder He only gives us a few things to do at one time! He knows how side-tracked we can get on our way to the first task! Just some food for thought...from one Attention Deficiented (is that a word?) follower of Christ to another.

1 comment:

submergent said...

Sweetheart, I really loved this day's blog. It really spoke... HEY SOMETHIN SHINEY!