Friday, January 9, 2009

When God says "No"...

Has God said "No" to you on any particular issue lately? I have recently had a confirmed "No" from the Lord and honestly, I'm learning to be grateful. I thought I would be devastated but I wasn't. I'm learning that "No"s are not all bad...yes, it has taken me 40 years to discover that! That doesn't mean we always like it or enjoy the "No" but we can trust God and then, even in the "No"...

Psalm 37:3-5, "Trust in the Lord and do good; dwell in the land and cultivate faithfulness. Delight yourself in the Lord; and He will give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the Lord, Trust also in Him, and He will do it."

Trust, Do, Dwell, Cultivate, Delight, Commit, and more Trust...all verbs. All surrounding "getting" the desires of our heart. How does a "No" from the Lord work into this? Well, when I receive a "No", I'm tempted to drop in a heap and stop...Trusting, Doing, Dwelling, Cultivating, Committing and so on. My tendenacy is lack of faith in the midst of a "No".

He is good and He is God and He is actively and accurately designing a change in our desires. He is enough. Am I desiring Him, even in the "No"? Am I dropping in a spiritual heap to throw a spiritual fit? Sometimes. Today, though, I'll choose to thank Him for the "No" and continue to Trust, Do, Dwell, Cultivate, Delight and then Trust some more...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved this truth. I have been doing a study in Psalm 37, titled Fret Not. Don't Fret. Do Trust. Do Good. Do Delight. Do Commit. Do Trust (again). Do Be Still. This is the third comfirmation of this message in the past few weeks! Praise God

Mandi Cornett said...

How cool is that? Don't ya just love it when the Lord does that? WOW! Great and Praise God is right!